Earlier this year, the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers began to discuss, identify and investigate a number of community outreach programs that offered opportunities to support the Maryknoll Society’s efforts to rekindle old friendships and welcome new visitors to the Maryknoll property at 55 Ryder Road in Ossining.
The Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers follow Jesus in serving the poor and others in need in 23 countries that include the U.S. All Catholics are called to mission through baptism and confirmation, and Maryknoll’s mission education outreach in parishes and schools throughout the country engages U.S. Catholics in mission through vocations, prayer, donations and as volunteers. Maryknoll missioners share God’s love and the Gospel in combating poverty, providing healthcare, building communities and promoting human rights.
Several initiatives have been fashioned by a committee of Maryknoll Society members and employees. One initiative will reinvigorate several popular community outreach programs. Another portion of the strategy will create new programs that also will welcome, entertain and engage guests at Maryknoll. All community outreach programs also will offer visitors inspiring messages about Maryknoll and its global service in mission.
The community outreach programs include:
- Maryknoll Mission and Drive-In Movie Night on September 24
- The Maryknoll Christmas Celebration of Mission on December 9
- Maryknoll Mission and Music Under the Stars scheduled for April 2017
- An expanded Maryknoll Speakers Series with speakers already scheduled for the remainder of this year and into 2017
- A self-guided campus tour that showcases the history of Maryknoll along with the buildings, statues and trees (many from mission countries) that are part of the landscape
The primary objective of these events is to re-introduce old friends to Maryknoll, welcome first-time visitors and to explain the role of the Society and the Catholic Church in the world of mission.
By: Mike Virgintino